[Sca-cooks] Order of ingredients

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Nov 16 11:36:31 PST 2010

>The one thing I truly hate is when a recipes says something
>like:  2 cups onions, divided.  It makes me crazy because invariably I dump
>all 2 cups in without realizing I needed to reserve 1/2 a cup for later in
>the recipe.  I'd prefer if the recipe calls for 1 1 /2 cups at the beginning
>and 1/2 cup at the end for the ingredient to be listed twice.  I may be
>alone in this but it is my preference.

That's the way I'm generally doing it--listing the ingredient twice
with the relevant quantities. I wasn't entirely sure it was
necessary, so your comment is useful.

Sometimes I do, perhaps usually I should, include the quantity in the
instructions as well as in the ingredient list, just to make it clear
which batch of salt or whatever goes in when. And sometimes I specify
"2 T more oil" in the ingredient list to make it clearer.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com