[Sca-cooks] glace chestnuts

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 07:10:19 PST 2010

I have not done any research as to whether they are period but I like
to think that this is a preservation method that might be close.

I did not use a recipe but this is what I did:  I made a simple syrup
of half sugar and half water. Peeled the chestnuts - I think they were
raw but I could be mistaken and they might have been lightly roasted
or boiled. Regardless, I put them and the simple syrup in my small
crockpot, on low. And left them there for 24 hours. Make sure you have
enough syrup to cover them. Then I let them cool, in the pot. Next I
turned the pot back on low for another 24 hours.

My understanding of "glace" is to ty to convert the object into a
sweet confection by replacing some of its moisture with the simple
syrup. Think a version of brining.

That is what I did and my mother loved them. And since I made them for
her I was pleased. I'm sure people will now try to correct me and tell
me I'm wrong but again, you asked what I did.

I hope you try it and it works for you. Let me know if you make any
adjustments and how they work out.

Shoshanna