[Sca-cooks] Description of the Beaver

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Nov 24 11:10:58 PST 2010

The European beaver is Castor fiber, the American beaver is Castor
canadensis. Apparently the European beaver has a slimmer tail and narrower
skull than its American cousin. Beavers are order Rodentia.

As for deer, Cervus elaphus is the European red deer, Cervus canadensis is
the American elk--it used to be Cervus elaphus canadensis. Alces alces is
the American moose and the Eurasian elk. Moose, elk, white-tails, mule
deer, roe deer, fallow deer, (and also caribou and reindeer) are all
family Cervidae.

The grey squirrels imported from Norway in the MA were not the grey
squirrel we have here, but both grey wolves and red foxes are the same
here and there. Squirrels are family Sciuirdae, foxes and wolves are
family Canidae.

I've been doing a lot of research on the appropriate uses and types of
fur in medieval times--I could bore you to tears with an extensive list of
medievally important critters and how they differ from the US versions if
you really want. ;-)

Margaret FitzWilliam