[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon in German cooking, esp knodeln

Amy Cooper amy.s.cooper at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 04:36:14 PST 2010

Hopefully Ranvaig can chime in about German recipes - she's
immediately who comes to mind, with her work on Rumpolt. I personally
think that their tastes were somewhat different in period than in
modern times. The first dish I EVER tasted in the SCA was like
tortellini in a cinnamon flavored chicken broth. It was strange, yes,
but GOOD.

I can believe, though, is that period vinegars were sharper than ours.
I have noticed that almost all vinegars I buy are  5% acid - something
I doubt occurs naturally. The recipes *may* turn out too sour to HIS
tastes, but a sour sauce or whatnot makes sense to me - the point of
acid is to cut through the rich fat of a recipe, right? And aren't our
modern meats somewhat leaner than "traditionally raised" meats?

I guess what I'm getting at is that this fellow's palette may be a bit
timid, and that's coloring his opinions...

Ilsebet