[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon in German cooking, esp knodeln

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Nov 26 06:56:38 PST 2010

There are a lot of knodeln recipes.  I recently prepared a cheese knodeln that
was spiced with pepper and cardomom, not exactly spices that come to mind for
dumplings.  It gave the dumplings a nice bite that went well with the wine
marinated pot roast.  Two questions come to mind in regards cinnamon in
knodeln.  What are the other ingredients in the knodeln?  How (and with what)
are the knodeln meant to be served?

I would think that small dumplings spiced with cinnamon and sugar, cooked and
served in a light broth, might be rather pleasant.

Bear

________________________________
I've been having an online exchange with someone, I think German, who is arguing
that spices were included in recipes to show off, not because they actually
tasted good in the recipes. In particular, he claims that cinnamon appears in
recipes where it doesn't belong, and offers the example of knodeln.

I, of course, don't believe it. But I also don't know the German sources. Any
comments from anyone who does?

He also claims that period vinegar was sharper than ours, and that dishes come
out too sour if you use it in the recommended proportions.

It's unclear to me whether he has actually cooked any significant number of
dishes from the relevant cuisine.
-- David/Cariadoc