[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon in German cooking, esp knodeln

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Fri Nov 26 09:06:04 PST 2010

Regarding the vinegar.
I have been working on period vinegar recipes.
I have tested the acidity and the red wine seems to top out at around 5.1% (which is exactly what they dilute modern red wine vinegar to!).
The Champagne is about the same but doesn't have as much character as the red wine.
I have looked at many period (German ones too) recipes for vinegar and I doubt that there is any validity to the comments.

Regarding the spice there for show.
Any evidence at all? Like a quote that says "These are just for show"?
None that I am aware of.
What time period is he speaking about?

Weirdness as far as I am concerned.

Eduardo

Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST REPAST.

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.net