[Sca-cooks] quince marmalade recipe

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Oct 5 10:21:42 PDT 2010

>Salvete
>
>Fate (in the shape of my future mother-in-law)was kind enough to
>ghift me a big basketr full of fresh quinces, straight off the tree.
>Right now, I'm making jelly. Next, paste. After that I will cook
>some of the dowen for honey-pickled quinces and pie filling, and I'm
>also thinking of masking some oldfashioned quince marmalade. So my
>question - has anyone tried a particular recipe and found it good
>(or bad)?
>
>THanks

I too would like an answer to that question; we have a quince tree
and they have been coming ripe.

I do have a good and simple recipe for quince preserves, from al-Warraq.

A Recipe for Conserving Quince
Al-Warraq p. 486

Quarter and core quince, put it in a pot with honey, and pour water
on it. Let the pot come to a boil then drain the quince, return it to
the pot and add honey to it. Do not use water this time. Cook the
qunce again until it is well done.

1 lb quince	2 c honey

Core and quarter the quince(s). dissolve _ c honey in 1 _ c of water.
Put the quince in the liquid, bring it to a boil, then drain off the
liquid, return the quince to the pot along with 1 _ c honey, bring
the honey to a boil and cook for about an hour. Put the quince and
boiled honey in a jar, seal it; it will keep for a long time.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com