[Sca-cooks] quince marmalade recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Oct 5 13:36:50 PDT 2010

Been quite a while since I did quince and I didn't do marmalades.
(Although if I were to do those, I would get out C. Anne Wilson's
excellent
The Book of Marmalade

from 2002

I just did quince paste/candy where you add equal weights of cooked
pulp and sugar and mix two together and mold. The clear liquid/jelly was
poured off
and set up on its own. I stewed them in just a bit of water,  poured off
the liquid for the jelly and sugared the pulp. Mine came out rosy dark
pink.

I read through the section on MWBof Cookery before I started and ended
up using some recipes of Nostredamus's.

---
I also have done this and it worked well.

Quince Two Ways...
I did quinces in two ways for one trial.
I cored the quinces and peeled them. Added an equal weight of sugar
and boiled the cores and peels until very soft in a pint of water per
pound of quince.
Strained that mixture to remove the cores and peels and then reboiled
the syrup until
it thickened. Poured that out. let it set up and then cut it into
diamonds.

The quinces that were left atfer being peeled and cored were thinly
sliced and prepared
in the manner of chips. They were simmered in a sugar syrup until soft
and then dried in a
very low oven until dried.

Both were very good.

-----
See also

http://www.historicfood.com/Quinces%20Recipe.htm

from 2007

Depending on the size of the quince (and a single quince can weigh
upwards of
more than one-half pound) one could make quince paste.
30 - To make paste of Genua of Quinces. Take Quinces, and pare them, and
cut them in slices, and bake them in an oven dry in an earthen pot,
without any other juyce than their owne: then take one pound thereof;
strain it, and put it into a stone-mortar with halfe a pound of sugar;
and when you have beaten it up to a paste, print it in your moulds, and
dry it three or foure times in an oven after you have drawne bread: and
when it is thorowly dry and hardned, you may box it, and it will keep
all the yeere. / * Delights for Ladies* by Hugh Plat.

/Numerous modern recipes and instructions can be found.
(Weigh the cooked quince paste and add an equal measure of sugar to
finish is standard.)
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/14630 has one.

----
Beth Hensperger in Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook says
"Combine the quince, water, sugar, vanilla bean, and lemon zest and
juice in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours."

Johnnae