[Sca-cooks] Where does the "remove" error come from?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Oct 11 18:59:58 PDT 2010

>1625 S. PURCHAS Pilgrimes IV. 345
>The dishes so placed..that they did reach a yard high as we sate,
>and yet each dish fit to bee dealt upon without remoove.

I take that to mean that you could get at them without removing
anything, not as a reference to a special subcourse called a "remove."

On further investigation, removes show up, between courses to
"cleanse the palette," in the fancy feasts done by some very
expensive U.K. caterers (Apex Catering) and in the medieval cooking
authorities they claim to be using (Historical Foods). Neither offers
any evidence that either the term or the function existed in period.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com