[Sca-cooks] Where does the "remove" error come from?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Oct 11 20:08:32 PDT 2010

EEBO TCP has Holinshed in several editions (1570's) writing about
Henry III saying

The cheefe iustice of the forrests on the right hand of the king
remooued the dishes on the table..

A quick search tonight also turned up this passage that mentions
courses and removing

from Pierce Penilesse his supplication to the diuell. Written by Tho.
Nash, Gent.
[Nash, Thomas, 1567-1601.] published 1592.

Experto credo Roberto, there is no mast like a Marchants table. Bona
fide, it is a great misture, that we haue not men swine as well as
beasts, for then we should haue porke that hath no more bones than a
pudding, and a site of bacon that you might lay vn|der your head in
stead of a bolster.

It is not for nothing, that other Countries whom we vpbraide with
Drunkennesse, call vs bursten-bellied Gluttons: for wee make our
greedie haunches powdring tubs of beefe, and eat more meat at one
meale  than the Spaniard or Italian in a moneth▪ Good thrifty mēn
they draw out adinner with sallets, like a Swart|(?)utters sute, and
make Madona Nature their best Caterer. We must haue our Tables
furnisht like Poulters stalls, or as though we were to victual Noahs
Arke again (wherin there was al sorts of liuing creatures that euer
were) or els the good-wife will not  open her mouth to bid one
welcome. A stranger that should come to one of our Magnificoes houses,
when dinner were set on the boord, and he not yet set, would thinke
the goodman of the house were a Haberdasher of Wilde-sowle, or a
Merchant venturer of daintie meate, that sels commodities of good
cheere by the great, and hath Factors in Arabia, Turkey, Egipt, and
Barbarie, to pro|uide him of straunge Birdes, Chiua Mustard, and odde
patterns to make Custards by.

Lord, what a coyle haue we with this Course and that course, remoouing
this dish higher, setting another lower, and taking a|waye the third.
A Generall might in lesse space remooue his Campe, than they stand
disposing of their gluttonie. And where to tends all this gurmandise,
but to giue sleepe grosse humors to feede on, to corrupt the braine,
and make it vnapt and vnweldie for any thing.

Might be interesting to run the spelling remooved or remooued through
some sources.

The OED quotation in full reads
The Gouernour feasted them very royally at a dinner, with all sorts of
wild fowle, Hennes, Goates, Mutton, Creame, Custards, diuers made
dishes, and Confections, all serued in Vessels of Tinne (different
from our Pewter) and made Goblet-fashion with feet, the dishes so
placed the one vpon the other, that they did reach a yard high as we
sate, and yet each dish fit to bee dealt vpon without remooue. The
meate was all serued vp at once, and that before we sat down.

Johnnae