[Sca-cooks] Period Cooking in the U.K.?

Karen Lyons-McGann karenthechef at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 09:04:15 PDT 2010

While living there I encountered guilds of recreationists who hired
themselves out to do demos at historcal sites.  Say ten to twenty
people playing roles as gentry and servants of a particular time
period.  Often travelling great distances to era-appropriate sites and
charging the site a fee.  Like SCA the participants may be interested
amatuer researchers but the overall standard is higher as the fees
from the sites fund them at least partially and the sites won't hire
groups who do the job badly.

There are also mre SCA type groups but they are not as broad ranging
time and location wise.     The most actve recreationists in our area
were roman and civil war era groups given that our local sites were
Colchester Castle, which is built over a roman temple; and other
buildings which survived a civil was seige of the town.

Lady Bonne

Sent from my iPod