[Sca-cooks] Spanish medieval food vocabulary

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 15:02:59 PDT 2010

  Emilio wrote:
> -- L. Upupa epops
>
> Does the "L." stand for "Linn?"? Then it should be placed after the rest. At
> least, I think so ...
>
> -- I suggest that you leave out everything that has nothing to do with cookery
> (the kind of singing..., the length of the bird, ...). On the other hand, please
> quote and document the aspects that are relevant for culinary history. Did
> Avenzoar say something about the culinary use of the bird? In which edition of
> Avenzoar will we find the information? Is the bird mentioned in the cookery
> books? In the dietetic works?
>
> -- Could you please give the bibliographical details of the references? There
> are no hyperlinks and no bibliographic entries to Avenzoar, Ibn Zuhr etc.
>
> -- Is there a survey about spanish medieval food sources? What is your "corpus"?
>

> Thank you!
>

> E.

In my blog: http//spanishfoodma.blogspot.com/
I wrote:
*abubilla, *OCast. /habudilla/, L./ Upupa epops,/ Eng. hoopoe. . .

. [ES: "Abubilla." n/d;Gázquez._Cocina_. 2002:139; Ibn Zuhr. 1992:124; and Jutglar. 1999:374]

Ok - I need to clean up my act here cause I am spitting out vocabulary but no explaining myself:

a)  abbreviations:  OCast means Old Castillean, L. means the scientific word for the bird and Eng is the English word.

b) at the end of the word I cite my sources. Gazquez stands to be corrected as the original source is Villena who mentions it as an ateable bird. Avenzoar/

Ibn Zuhr is in the bibiliography which is over 50 pages.

So how can I clean this up? Also my introduction is missing but it is
long like 20 pages at least explaining influences on Spanish medieval
cookery and then the abbreviations are 4 pages an the bibiliography is
over 50 pages.

Thank you all so much for your consideration, advise etc. After sitting
in a tunel for so many years, you are really helping me see the light!
Suey