[Sca-cooks] cooking for a vigil

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Sun Oct 17 07:19:19 PDT 2010

Good advice, Katriona!

In addition to tapping the person who asked you to cook to pony up :), in my
experience, people don’t go to vigils to EAT. They want nibbles so they have
something to do with their hands and to keep the vigil-ee (vigilante? ;)
from passing out from starvation.

Food food as in a meal type stuff is hard to serve, lots of work and
expensive.

Think nuts (no shells means no cleanup, BTW), dried fruit, shortbread
cookies, pickles, olives (again no pits means you wont have to be coming
pits out of the carpet later), pitchers of drinking water, etc.

I've catered a number of vigils and had really good luck asking the
vigil-ees already-laurelled friends to bring a batch of this or that (small
tarts of savory or sweet, you may need to provide recipes :); sliced deli
meat, sliced cheese and those whole grain bread rolls with a small bowl of
mustard; heck, even hummous with carrots, cucumbers and pita wedges makes a
non period and very vigil friendly protein source

If you really want a hot protein thing, I've had good luck taking my
favorite period sauced meat dish (pomegranate chicken, or pork in fig sauce
for example), precook the meat in bite sized lumps. Put with the sauce in
the crockpot and serve hot with those long bamboo skewers and cocktail
napkins (no plates, no forks and the skewers can get tossed into the fire or
compost)

Most importantly, as Katriona says, talk to the person who hit you up for
this generous donation of your time and energy. Find out what htye had in
mind, and be very clear on what you're willing and able to do. There's no
shame in setting clear boundries ahead of time :)

Good luck! Catering vigils is a fun way to be part of your friends special
day :)

--Anne-Marie