[Sca-cooks] cooking for a vigil

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 07:43:51 PDT 2010

Actually, there are period hummus recipes!  Happy to provide same if you're
interested...or there should be several in the Flory-thingey.  But yes,
hummus a grand alternative.  Something like goat or other spreadable cheese
with crackers works well also.

And I agree with Anne-Marie...talk to whoever asked you to prepare food for
the vigil.  They should be able to help you find people that can provide
assistance, either monetary or items you can serve.

One thing I did when I wanted something warm was to do Savory Toasted Cheese
as the real recipe describes.  I have a period (late Tudor) chafing dish
where I kept the cheese warm.  Beside it I had a platter with veggies and
cubed roast beef.  It was a howling success!  (Folks in Atlantia are
seriously addicted to STC but had never seen it served this way.)  Just be
careful not to get the dish too hot if it's very cold out.  The difference
between the temperature outside and the heated dish caused the stoneware
(!!) dish to break.  sigh.

Kiri

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Anne-Marie Rousseau <
dailleurs at liripipe.com> wrote:

> Good advice, Katriona!

<snippage>

>  heck, even hummous with carrots, cucumbers and pita wedges makes a
> non period and very vigil friendly protein source
>
> If you really want a hot protein thing, I've had good luck taking my
> favorite period sauced meat dish (pomegranate chicken, or pork in fig sauce
> for example), precook the meat in bite sized lumps. Put with the sauce in
> the crockpot and serve hot with those long bamboo skewers and cocktail
> napkins (no plates, no forks and the skewers can get tossed into the fire
> or
> compost)
>
> "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince