[Sca-cooks] Restricted sites was Frozen pomegranate

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Thu Oct 21 03:58:41 PDT 2010

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:25:14 -0600
From: "Kathleen A Roberts" <karobert at unm.edu>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Restricted sites was  Frozen pomegranate
	jewels

To answer you and Johnnae...

Yes, this is a state run institution.  Oddly enough,
"official groups" have this restriction.  Aunt Martha
booking the site for a birthday party bringing in green
chili stew and tamales from home to reheat would not.  Go
figger.

We are an event there, so I am sure someone would say
"Gee, I wonder if those folks in the funny clothes are
cooking again?"

They allow anything with high sugar or dry to be brought
in.  It is really almost humoral.... hot/moist, cold/dry.
 ;)  Bread, cake, cookies, candy, jam, can be brought in
with  no problem.

Yes, ye olde liability monster rears its ugly head.

Cailte

It is likely not a matter of 'official' groups, or state owned institutions
but more a regulation of commercial practice. In this state of Australia
there is a law requiring that at any sort of event where money is charged
and food provided that the preparation of the food is overseen by someone
with a food safety handling certificate. It has effectively put an end to
potluck feasts.

I have a food safety handling certificate, needless to say, and so do most
people around here who commonly cook for feasts.

The law was introduced after a particularly nasty outbreak of food poisoning
in which a toddler died and a dozen or more others suffered kidney failure.

Angharad