[Sca-cooks] An apple-related question...

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Oct 25 09:38:58 PDT 2010

So, it is apple season again here in MN, and I have so far put six quarts
of apples in the freezer for use later on in the depths of winter, and I
still have...um...something like a half-bushel of apples yet to turn into
yummy things.

Generally when I process apples for pies, I peel by hand and then use my
trusty apple corer/slicer which cuts apples into eight equally-sized
slices and cores out the middle. It is the one we grew up with--I looted
it from its drawer when Dad sold the house--and unlike other apple cutter
thingys I have found, has an actual edge which is very slightly sharp.

However, it is old, and showing its age--a couple of the blades have some
serious damage including some metal that is just gone, and I would like to
retire it. I bought a new one a couple of years back that is about as
useful as a *really* dull butter knife at cutting apples, and I am
wondering if I should just invest in one of those peeler/slicer/corer jobs
with the handle that you turn.

So I turn to the brain trust that is the list--does anyone have any
specific brands to recommend or caution against?

Thanks!!

Margaret FitzWilliam, in the kitchen with the apples