[Sca-cooks] Spiral Bound or Perfect? One Book or Two

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 17:38:06 PDT 2010

I would prefer the 11 point type face.  I have no problem with Times.  The
larger font is good as many of us are getting older, so larger is better, if
possible.  For the cookbook part, the smaller book is better, otherwise it
makes no difference.

Kiri

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>wrote:

> Another question--font size.
>
> Past editions of the _Miscellany_ were 12 point Times. I'm currently
> working with 11 point times. Looking at our _Joy of Cooking_, it's pretty
> clearly smaller than that. Would people be uncomfortable with text at 10
> point or 9 point? Text at 10 or 11, ingredients lists at 9 or 10? Would they
> prefer the smaller font sizes, because of getting more on each page? Smaller
> fonts don't reduce the price by much, given the cost structure, but they do
> make layout easier for lists of ingredients.
>
> A related issue is page size. It turns out that the cost of the book
> depends on the number of pages but not, surprisingly, on the page
> size--which is an argument for using the largest page size (8x10) and double
> columning instead of something like 6x9 and single columning. Do people find
> a large book less convenient to hold and work with? More convenient?
> --
> David/Cariadoc
> www.daviddfriedman.com

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince