[Sca-cooks] Suey's Blog

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 13:30:32 PDT 2010

In answer to my blog:

http://spanishfoodma.blogspot.com/

Emilio wrote:
> I for one would prefer information on Spanish cuisine and culinary references
> only.
>

> I can look up the sound, size etc. of the bird in other sources. Suggestion:
> delete all non-culinary passages.
Ok will try as best I can but am afraid that if I shave too much my
writing will loose my subtle sense of humor which I believe to be the
beauty of my efforts.
> As for the entry above: If there is no clear reference to some kind of culinary
> or dietetic use or aspect whatsoevever, I'd suggest to delete the entry.
I am fighting for the hoopoe/abubilla! I do not want to delete him
because he is such a beautiful bird, in spite of the fact that his and
her nest stinks. I hate to tell you you are right. I have sent a request
to Emilia G. Sevilla to document her statements so we shall see.
> It is a matter of streamlining your project.
Yes, I understand. I need to be called on redundancy often.
> Could you please make available the bibliography, including the medieval
> sources? Otherwise the references are hard to follow.
Its 51 pages so far =-O !
> Do you think Avenzoar is a relevant source for medieval Spain?

Yes, I do as the upper class followed the four elements and his work was
based on them. Among others, I also find Maimonides equally important.
In my short biographies on them I do include non-culinary or non
dietetic facts. I think it is important to underline the fact about the
four elements and Maimonides' confluence of four cultures and his
emphasis on the daily environment including hygiene, exercise, diet,
cultural life and friends.

My daughter is complaining that she finds this to be a dictionary. She
wants recipes. As you I have tons of recipes but I am not Julia Child or
Julie. I am playing around with creating a banquet menu with recipes but
am turned off as I pay no attention to seasonal food. It really muddles
me. I simply do not have the money or time to try out all the recipes.

Also, I find the first 25 pages of my text are really interesting, as it
summaries the history of the Iberian Peninsula from Roman times
embellished by progress in gourmet cooking.
Suey