[Sca-cooks] Ibn Battula"s Meals

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Oct 4 09:17:02 PDT 2010

I shouldn't try to follow a thread when I'm tired.

The area you are describing is in the grain growing region of Southeast
Europe.  While they might or might not have had durum, they would have had
wheat and I would generally assume that any pasta would be made from some
variety of wheat, except possibly in times of famine.  Neither buckwheat nor
millet have gluten and any pasta made from them would likely be extremely
friable.

The term macaroni derives from the Italian "maccaroni" meaning "dumpling."
In the original usage, the word can be used to refer to almost any form of
pasta.  IIRC, the first reference to tubular pasta shows up in early 15th
Century Italy (check for references before taking that as gospel), but I
don't remember that usage being outside of Italy.  In my view, tubular pasta
is a remote possibility.  It is much more likely that the pasta would be
flat noodles or dumplings.

Millet, BTW, makes a very decent polenta, either as a soft mush or a drier
loaf.  I suspect that this was probably served as mush.

Bear