[Sca-cooks] Siege food

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 13:21:02 PDT 2010

  Donna wrote:
> On the topic of siege food, my sweetie has a book on the Hugenot wars and it has a translation of a letter which gives instructions on cooking shoes and other bits of leather to make them into food. The letter was apparently written during a siege and the supply of possible commestables was getting low.

It would be nice to know how they did it. In 1422 just after Juan II's
marriage to Maria of Aragon, he was abducted by his brother-in-law and
taken prisoner with his wife to Talavera. As "imprisonment" had a loose
sense of the word, he went "hunting" one day which subsequently incurred
a cowboy and Indian chase through Extremadura. Finally he took refuge in
a castile and was surrounded by bro-in-law and hi troops. Juan and his
party survived by eating their horses, saddles, gloves - whatever. Later
on the Master of the knightly order of Alcantera gets into what I call
'barons wars' in Extremadura and he surrounds his enemy in a castle who,
with his wife and troops, live off of leather after the animals were
consumed.
Suey