[Sca-cooks] Gooseberries? Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 54, Issue 10

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 08:27:57 PDT 2010

Yeah, that's why it's really best to contact the local ag folks...  a lot of the lists in seed catalogs are years or even decades out of date.  They don't have the staff or time to call every state every year.  And the states can't be bothered to update the seed/plant companies.  So....
I live in W. Michigan.  There used to be some pretty strict regulations here, too.  You had to be at least 500 ft. from the nearest White Pine tree, get permission from the State Dept. of Ag, etc, etc.  Not so much anymore.  The newer varieties are all pretty resistant, AND I had one extension agent admit that they're not entirely sure that the Ribes sp. ever had anything to do with it to start with....
The Meijer grocery chain right now has currants (from South America), at least locally.  But they're prohibitvely expensive, to my mind.  Especially when said U-pick place charges $2/qt.  And currants are easy to pick if you bring scissors!
There is a fairly recent book out entitled "Grow Fruit," http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Fruit-Alan-Buckingham/dp/0756658896/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286810774&sr=8-1
It's actually a very nice reference, and gives descriptions of a number of recommended varieties of each type of fruit.  In addition, it has sections on training - espaliers and cordons can be useful in small spaces.  It also includes a list of nurseries and suppliers.
Femke