[Sca-cooks] Interesting concept....

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 21:33:01 PDT 2010

This is "The 36-Hour Dinner Party", right?

The article says "But after the bread is out of the oven, people show up with a variety of other dishes to wring every last B.T.U. from the day’s fire: pizzas while the oven is still blazing and then, as the day goes on, gentle braises or even pots of yogurt to capture the last heat and flavors of the dying embers."

Which is a good explanation of something we discussed about using mass ovens previously.

But what is this about "capture the last heat and flavors of the dying embers"? Since the embers are brushed out of the oven before any food, including the pizza, which was first, was put in the oven. By the time you get to the pots of yogurt, even if an ember was left, is likely to long dead, not "dying" and I doubt it would have any flavor left to give.

Okay, reading on, I see that they built up the fire at least another time. But for a single cycle, if things are wiped out correctly, or what I thought was correctly, I don't see where any embers come from.

Stefan, the picky.
PS: It sorta reminds me of a 24-hour battle discussed 20 years ago on the Rialto. There were none of the usual time or space limits, other than perhaps the boundaries of the site itself. Your side had to prepare meals and camp with the expectation that you could get attacked at any time.
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com