[Sca-cooks] cooking for a vigil

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 14:42:16 PDT 2010

OK....

Here 'tis...

Hummus Kasa...Chickpea Blanket

3/4 15 ounce chickpeas, canned
1/16 cup red wine vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
1/8 cup Tahini
1/16 teaspoon black pepper, fine ground
3/4 tablespoon mint leaves, minced
3/4 tablespoon parsley, minced
3/8 teaspoon thyme, dried
1/8 cup walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pistacios
3/8 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon, cinnamon z.
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/8 salted lemon or juice of 1/8 c juice
1/8 cup olives --, green or black
3/8 teaspoon caraway sauteed in olive oil
3/8 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
Puree chickpeas

add oil, tahineh, vinegar and lemon juice.  Blend further

Stir in nuts and spices.  Channon omitted the olives.

Dot durface of the spread with olives (?)

Cuisine:
  "Period Middle Eastern"
Source:
  "14th C The Description of Familiar Foods-"

Notes: Kitab Wasf al-At'ima Al- Mu'tada
        Hummus Kasa (chickpea blanket); kasa is the name of a
        coarse  woolen fabric). Take chickpeas and pound them fine
        after boiling them. Then take vinegar, oil, tahineh,
        pepper, atraf tib, mint, parsley, the refuse of dry thyme,
        walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios, Ceylon cinnamon,
        toasted caraway, dry coriander, salt, salted lemons and
        olives. Stir it and roll it out flat and leave it
        overnight and take it up."
        Note, that salted lemons has been used as a substitute for
        lemon juice or other sour fruit in the recipe "Bazmaward"
        of the same manuscript. pg 381 As such I did not have
        salted lemons so I used fresh lemon juice.
        Ceylon cinnamon is true cinnamon, as opposed to Cassia
        which is what is commonly sold as cinnamon here. You can
        find true cinnamon (also known as cinnamon zeliacanum) in
        health food stores or food co-ops, many Indian and Middle
        Eastern grocers or on the internet. It is much milder than
        Cassia bark. It can be differentiated by it's appearance,
        true cinnamon is a thinner, almost paper like bark, where
        as Cassia is very thick and heavy in appearance.

Enjoy!!

Kiri

I would also like the hummous info, so please post to the list pretty
> please.
> Randell Raye
>
> On Oct 17, 2010 10:44 AM, "Anne-Marie Rousseau" <dailleurs at liripipe.com>
> wrote:
>

> Kiri reminds us of the perennial favorite Savory Toasted Cheese...
>
> and the version in la varenne has it served on bread bits. cheese fondue,
> baby! ;)
>
> yes, please PM me about the actual documentable hummoussy type stuff! I've
> been out of the loop obviously :)
>
> --AM
> PS if you take goat cheese and cuisinart it with cream cheese in a 1:1
> ratio, you can get a nice spreadable cheesy goo for less
> money. add herby or roasted garlic or even lemon rind if you wish. again,
> not documentable but not horribly agregious, either :)
> PPS the whole STC phenomenon is one of my favorite interkindgom
> anthropology
> stories. we do it differently up here in AnTir, and
> its not the "have to have" thing it is elsewhere. but stuffed eggs are.
> neat, huh?

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince