[Sca-cooks] cooking for a vigil

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Oct 17 20:44:27 PDT 2010

>OK....
>
>Here 'tis...
>
>Hummus Kasa...Chickpea Blanket

>3/4 15 ounce chickpeas, canned
>1/16 cup red wine vinegar
>1/8 cup olive oil
>1/8 cup Tahini
>1/16 teaspoon black pepper, fine ground
>3/4 tablespoon mint leaves, minced
>3/4 tablespoon parsley, minced
>3/8 teaspoon thyme, dried
>1/8 cup walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pistacios
>3/8 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon, cinnamon z.
>3/4 teaspoon salt
>3/8 salted lemon or juice of 1/8 c juice
>1/8 cup olives --, green or black
>3/8 teaspoon caraway sauteed in olive oil
>3/8 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
>Puree chickpeas
>
>add oil, tahineh, vinegar and lemon juice.  Blend further
>
>Stir in nuts and spices.  Channon omitted the olives.
>
>Dot durface of the spread with olives (?)

There is no "blend further" in the original; the chickpeas are
pounded, but none of the rest of it is. Your recipe leaves out the
final instruction: "roll it out  flat and leave it overnight and take
it up." That doesn't sound like a puree used as a dip. Nor does the
"chickpea planket" name suggest that it is ending up blended together
into a dip--it's being rolled flat.

In my experience, at least, if you follow the original recipe you
don't come out with anything we would recognize as a version of
hummus bi tahini. The recipe you give strikes me as what happens if
someone starts out with a modern dish that he want sto produce and
ignores anything in the original that isn't consistent with producing
it.

You referred earlier to "period hummus recipes." That recipe I
knew--do you have any more?

>Cuisine:
>   "Period Middle Eastern"
>Source:
>   "14th C The Description of Familiar Foods-"
>
>Notes: Kitab Wasf al-At'ima Al- Mu'tada
>         Hummus Kasa (chickpea blanket); kasa is the name of a
>         coarse  woolen fabric). Take chickpeas and pound them fine
>         after boiling them. Then take vinegar, oil, tahineh,
>         pepper, atraf tib, mint, parsley, the refuse of dry thyme,
>         walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios, Ceylon cinnamon,
>         toasted caraway, dry coriander, salt, salted lemons and
>         olives. Stir it and roll it out flat and leave it
>         overnight and take it up."

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com