[Sca-cooks] what's a tisana?

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Mon Oct 18 17:51:00 PDT 2010

<< Although the Vehling translation has errors and the biggest is that the Latin
is not next to it >>

Perhaps it would be more prudent to say: "no version of the Latin text".
Hummelberg, Lister, Schuch, Vollmer, Milham, almost 500 years of editing
Apicius.

<< the F&R (Flowers and Rosenbaum) also has some major issues and the Latin,
while next to the English translation has some transcription errors.  >>

Could you please give examples and comment on them? Thanks!

<< Best to look at an original Latin and use the MANY different translations
(and your own knowledge of food) to get an idea of what is possibly going on.

I'd say too: this is the way to go!

<< Didn't Milham do a translation as well?  >>

I don't think so.

<< ... plus at least one microfilm of the original manuscript >>

There are more than one "original manuscripts", as far as I can say.

Didn't we discuss the tisana/ptisana-topic way back in 2007? I remember only
vaguely ...

E.