[Sca-cooks] Period raisin bread?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Oct 21 18:15:35 PDT 2010

Closest I found in medievalcookery.com is this cake made with bread
and raisins:

This is an excerpt from Das Kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard
(Germany, 15th century - Giano Balestriere, trans.)
The original source can be found at Mark S. Harris' Florilegium

If you want to make a good cake out of eggs. Take eggs, as many as you
want, beat them well and cut into it five lot [a unit of weight
differing widely by region] of fine white bread. Put raisins into the
batter. Heat lard in a pan, so that it is enough, and pour the egg
into that and let it bake inside and out. With that lay it on a board
and  chop some spices onto it, cut it into slices and serve it.

Wiltu machen gut kuchenn vonn eyerrn. So nym eyer, wie vil du wilt,
vnd zu slach die wol vnd schneid semel funf lot dar vnter vnd thue dar
ein weinperr vnd schmalcz in ein pfannen, des genug sej, vnd geuß die
eyer dar ein vnd laß es packenn ynnenn vnd aussenn. Do mit slach es
auff ein panck vnd hack dar vnter gut wurcz vnd schneid es zu
scheubenn vnd richt es an.
-----
Searched under bread and raisins in EEBO-TCP and came up with things
like grated bread and raisins in a number of medical recipes and a few
others like this one but no "raisin breads".

To make Fritters.

To make Fritters another way, take Flower, milke, Barme, grated Bread,
smal Raisins, Cinamon, Suger, Cloues, Mace, Pepper, Saffron, and Salt;
stirre all these together very wel with a strong spoone, or smal
Ladle; then let it stand more then a quarter of an houre that it may
rise, then beate it in againe, and thus let it rise & be beate in,
twice or thrice at least then take it and bake them in sweete and
strong seame, as hath beene before shewed, and when they are serued vp
to the table, see you strow vpon them good store of Suger, Cynamon,
and Ginger.

from The English house-vvife. 1631 edition

Johnnae