[Sca-cooks] Period raisin bread?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 22 00:11:26 PDT 2010

--- David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> schrieb am Fr, 22.10.2010:

> Von: David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>
> Betreff: [Sca-cooks] Period raisin bread?
> An: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Datum: Freitag, 22. Oktober, 2010 00:52 Uhr
> The chief cook for a local event
> likes my sourdough raisin bread, and wants me to do some for
> the event. Does anyone here know of any period references to
> raisin bread? Pictures?

Not bread,. strictlyspeaking, but Marx Rumpoldt has a recipe for a yeast cake that includes raisins. It's probably what we'd call a bread these days. He advises the reader that the dpough can be baked in the shape of a cookpot (you bake it in a clay pot and break it afterwards). There's also  a recipe for raisin fritters.

I have a transcription lying around somewhere, but I think it's also in the online Rumpoldt.

YIS

Giano