[Sca-cooks] Period raisin bread?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Oct 22 18:55:45 PDT 2010

>Not bread,. strictlyspeaking, but Marx Rumpoldt
>has a recipe for a yeast cake that includes
>raisins. It's probably what we'd call a bread
>these days. He advises the reader that the
>dpough can be baked in the shape of a cookpot
>(you bake it in a clay pot and break it
>afterwards). There's also  a recipe for raisin
>fritters.
>
>I have a transcription lying around somewhere,
>but I think it's also in the online Rumpoldt.

A few raisin recipes from Rumpolt.  I'm not sure
if these are the ones you were thinking of, none
of them seem that much like raisin bread, except
perhaps 20, which is roasted on a spit, not baked.

Zugemüß  50. Take eggs/ and beat them well/ and
beat well together/ grate a weck bread under it/
and small black raisins/ and big onions/ that are
washed clean/ make sweet/ and pour a little good
sweet cream under it/ and a little salt/  take a
pan and butter in it/ make hot/ and pour the eggs
in it.
When you have put all things together/ stir in
the pan/ until it becomes hard/ that it does not
burn/ take a hot mortar/ and put a little butter
in it/ then put the egg dish in the mortar/ put
an iron cover and coals on it/ and the mortar
over hot ashes?/ and let it then bake/ turn the
mortar over/ and pour in the dish/ so it comes
out whole.  And might over or under put an almond
gescharb sauce or sugar crystals/ like this it is
good and well tasting.  This one makes a mortar
cake/ that is delicate and good.

Gebackens 1. Take milk and butter in a pan/ and
let simmer/ stir beautiful white flour into it/
that it becomes well thickened/ keep against the
fire and coals/ that it becomes nicely dry/ take
Eggs/ lay them in warm water/ put the dough into
a clean crock/ and crack an egg one after another
in it/ stir well with clean hands/ put not make
it too thick/ or too thin. And such a dough you
need for Sprützen pastry/ and for Strauben/
particularly if you take a pot/ make a hole
through it and push the dough through into hot
butter. You can also use it for Strützel pastry/
and to the large brown pastry/ when you take
small black raisins among them.

Gebackens 9. Take grated almonds/ make it up with
sugar/ rose water/ and with small black raisins/
make a dough thereto with warm water/ and little
butter/ drive it out with a Roller/ wrap the
almonds into it/ and cut with a wheel/ fry in hot
butter/ that is not too hot/ give warm off to a
table/ and sprinkle it with sugar. Note: I think
it means an almond filling wrapped in a dough of
flour and water.

Gebackens 12. Take curdled milk/ with eggs made
up/ and is completely firm/ stir with sugar/ put
small black raisins/ that are washed clean/ under
it/ wrap in a dough/ like mentioned before/ how
one makes a dough/ sprinkle it with sugar/ and
give warm on a table.

Gebackens 20. Take warm milk and beat eggs with
it/ make a dough with fair white flour/ take
little beer yeast and butter to it/ let it stand
a while behind the oven/ that it rises/ make it
again into a ball/ and salt it a little/ then
roll it out cleanly/ throw black raisins over it.
Take a roller/ that is warm/ and rubbed with
butter/ and lay it on the dough/ wrap the dough
over/ and tie it together with a twine/ so it
does not fall off/ lay to the fire and turn
slowly/ like this will it roast cleanly. And when
it becomes brown then take a brush/ and put it
into hot butter/ and coat the cake with it/ like
this it will be a beautiful brown. And when it is
roasted/ so take it off the roller spit/ and put
into both holes with a clean cloth/ that the heat
remains/ let it remain like this/ until it is
cool so give cold on a table/ like this it is
tender and good. And one calls it Spiesskuchen.

Gebackens 41. Make a dough with milk/ eggs/ and
beautiful white flour/ put a little beer year in
it/ and make a good dough/ that is not completely
stiff/ and do not over salt it/ set it to the
warm/ that it nicely risen/ punch it down on a
clean board/ and do little black raisins around
it/ make strutzel from it/ throw it in hot
butter/ and fry/ like this it will nicely puff
up/ give cold or warm on a table/ sprinkle it
with sugar/ like this it is a good pastry.

Ranvaig