[Sca-cooks] Spiral Bound or Perfect? One Book or Two

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Oct 22 21:37:05 PDT 2010

The tenth edition of the _Miscellany_ is going to total about 370
pages, of which about half is recipes and closely related articles. I
plan to produce it via a POD online publisher, which should be both
less expensive than Office Max and save me all the trouble of filling
orders. Two questions:

1. What looks like the most attractive of the publishers only
publishes perfect bound books; past editions of the Miscellany were
"spiral bound," which makes it possible for the book to lie flat
fully open. That's an advantage for a book used in part as a
cookbook. How much does it matter? Should I limit myself to
publishers that offer such binding as an option?

2. Should the _Miscellany_ be published as two volumes, one on
cooking and one on everything else? The arguments in favor of that
are that one volume is going to be awfully big and that there is no
reason to have something used as a cookbook half of which has nothing
to do with cooking.

The arguments against are, first, that two volumes are going to be
significantly more expensive than one, and second that the present
arrangement puts non-cooking stuff that I would like people to read
into the hands of people who buy the book mainly for the recipes.

One alternative is to publish the all in one volume, plus a separate,
possibly spiral bound, volume that's only recipes--for people who
aren't interested in the rest of what is in the _Miscellany_, most
obviously cooking enthusiasts not involved in historical recreation.

Opinions? What would people here prefer? What do they think the wider
audience would prefer?
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com