[Sca-cooks] Gingerbread Playhouse

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 21 22:30:32 PDT 2010

<<< The local group has an event called "Juvenalia." For my sins, I
suggested having, as one feature, a "play with your food" contest.
Contestants provide a period food that can be used as modeling clay
or the like, kids use it to make things. I plan to enter gingerbrede,
as the obvious candidate.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com

------------------------------
Leche Lumbard (basically a paste made from cooking dates in wine until they
are mushy then thickening with breadcrumbs or ground almonds or crumbled
boiled egg) can be quite satisfactorily sculpted...

Angharad >>>

Sounds interesting. Although it sounds like it is just as messy,just as likely to stick to your hands as the gingerbread.

Is this a medieval dish? Do you have some references or period recipes? Do these references talk about it being molded in period, or is this just something that can be done, but wasn't necessarily done in period?  For some reason the name sounds French to me, but the use of the dates sounds Middle Eastern. Or were dates readily available in France?

Thanks,
  Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com