[Sca-cooks] Photos for my blog

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 13:23:00 PDT 2010

The rule we use with SCA publications is that if the article in question
belongs to someone else (museum, living history organization, whatever),
even if you take the photo of it, you must have permission from whoever owns
the item.  If it is a picture of an artifact from a book, a picture you did
not take, you must have permission from whomever holds the copyright to that
publication...the publisher or the author.  If the picture is one you took
of someone doing something (cooking, weaving, etc.) then you should have
permission from that person to publish the photo of them.

Kiri

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Barbara Benson <voxeight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Saluti,
>
> While I do not have a medieval blog, I do have several mundane blogs.
> What are your specific concerns regarding photographs?
>
> Are the photos you are considering ones that you took yourself? If so
> you can use them however you wish. If you are concerned about others
> taking your photos (it happens) then many chose to "watermark" the
> photos to prevent theft.
>
> It is only when the images are the property of someone else that you
> run into difficulties. You can ask for permission (get it in writing)
> to use images that are still within copyright. Things that have fallen
> into public domain can be used without permission - but that is
> difficult to determine some times.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> Serena da Riva
>
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com> wrote:
> >    David Friedman is so gun shy of copywrites I have not dared to put any
> > photos into my work (http://spanishfoodma.blogspot.com/) but with Ken
> > Albala's blog, I see he has a photo and my dear crazy friend Luis Español
> > Bouche who publishes weekly always has photos which I imagine he gets
> from
> > google.com. Is that ok? Can I do that?
> >    I feel I am ready to publish. I have been doing a little search for
> > agents and have been rejected so far. Any advise? I really would
> appreciate
> > it. Its been a long road.
> > Suey

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince