[Sca-cooks] Corrections to my blog

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 13:21:32 PDT 2010

Elise Fleming wrote:
> Greetings!  You still may want to look more carefully at the entries,
> especially if they will be part of a book.  As mentioned earlier, while
> the title is "Spanish Food of the Middle Ages", there don't seem to be
> citations from cookery books of that time.  For example, "As the hoopoe
> is 7 1/2" or 15 cm long it was served with "small birds" at banquets."
> Does any Spanish cookery book from the Middle Ages actually give the
> name "abubilla" in one of the recipes?  Or, was it just mentioned as a
> medicinal food (which to me is not the same as something one would
> regularly eat).
>
> What Spanish recipe includes "acerola" or hawthorn?  Is the hawthorn
> really on the Tudor princes' coats of arms?  I couldn't find any
> example.  Could you point us to one?  It's not that the information
> wouldn't be useful, but reading the entries raises more questions for me
> than it does answers.  Sorry to be so picky...
Emilia G. Sevilla states in her article "Mesa con vino," http://mesaconvino.blogspot.com/: la carne de abubilla, de pavo real o  de cisne, que se servían con sus plumas colocadas de nuevo una a una, después de asado el ave y colocada en la bandeja de servir. . . /

Hoopoe, peacock and swan meat after roasting was presented on platters
with their feather coats placed over them.
Taking into account the abundance of the hoopoe bird in Spain during the
Middle Ages and Avenzoar's comments it seems obvious to me that it was
commonly served. I have no Spanish lists of menus from the Middle Ages
but those from England just say "small birds" without naming them.

Henry VII's  crest is on a "wreath of the Colours within a Chaplet of
Hawthorn fructed proper a Mount of Pellets thereon an Eagle wings
expanded Or." Taking into account that my work does not include the 16th
Century, I believe my statement should be corrected to say that it as on
the arms of Henry VII of Tudor instead of 'Tudor princes.' Henry VIII in
the 16th Century used the same coat of arms as his father but without
the hawthorn bush.
Thank you very much for your observations.
Suey