[Sca-cooks] Steak au Poive cut

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 6 14:33:57 PDT 2011

I don't know that I would want to take bets on what cut should be used
for steak au poivre. A quick search turns up the following:

Alton Brown calls for 4 tenderloin steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each and no
more than 1 1/2 inches thick

Claire Robinson calls for 2 bone-in rib-eye steaks, about 1 1/2 pounds
each

Gourmet (archived at Epicurious) in 1994 called for 2 boneless shell
steaks (3/4 pound each, about 1 1/4 inches thick)

In 2006 Gourmet (again at Epicurious) reprinted their 1955 recipe
which called for 4 (3/4- to 1-inch-thick) boneless beef top-loin
(strip) steaks (8 to 10 oz each)

Delish.com reprints a  Recipe courtesy of Anthony Bourdain's Les
Halles Cookbook, ©2004, calling for 4 8-ounce steaks

Wikipedia,  just says
Steak au poivre or pepper steak is a French dish that consists of a
steak, traditionally a filet mignon, coated with loosely cracked
peppercorns and then cooked.

Here's a version is based on Julia Child and Jacques Pépin.
Steak au poivre is a classic preparation for sauteed steak. Here Julia
Child and Jacques Pépin update the steak by using a mixture of black,
green, white and Jamaican peppercorns, which is really allspice. A
saute of mushrooms and a full-bodied red wine are a fine match.—Julia
Child and Jacques Pépin

It calls for
  One 1-pound thick-cut, well-marbled strip steak
2 tablespoons mixed whole peppercorns, including black, white, green,
Szechuan and Jamaican (whole allspice)
Read more: http://leitesculinaria.com/5950/recipes-steak-au-poivre.html#ixzz1UHqdLNg2

Nothing is classic anymore.

Johnnae