[Sca-cooks] Subject: camp cooking suggestions and tip

Haraldr Bassi sca-cooks-l at drakkar.org
Tue Aug 30 16:20:50 PDT 2011

Greetings,

A question was raised regarding the Eggs in a Jar I referenced. There is a recipe in Medieval
Arab Cookery (IIRC, but don't have time to walk across the house to the library to verify) that
has a recipe that was used to prepare eggs by boiling them in a specially shaped glass jar. The
jar being broken and thrown away to serve.

The modern medieval alternative uses 1Qt freezer zipper bags. Open 2-3 eggs into it, add chopped
cheese(s), leftover grains from the night before (rice, cous cous etc), chopped veggies
(scallions, mushrooms etc), chopped leftover meats or dried sausage type things (pepperoni,
summer sausage, roasted chicken etc) and spices. Squeeze out the air from the bag, seal it, mark
each bag with the person's name, place them into boiling water for 10-15 minutes or until
cooked. Remove from the water and eat. For minimal cleanup, open the bag and turn down the edges
and eat with a spoon. It effectively turns into an omelet. Or dump it onto a plate or bowl if
you don't mind an extra dirty dish in camp.

The Modern idea comes from the Boy/Girl scouts type places. Credit for finding the medieval
tie-in rests with Mistress Thora Sharptooth. We'd been making eggs this way for many Pennsics
before she located that reference.

Thanks,
Haraldr Bassi