[Sca-cooks] sekanjabin, was: Freezing tarts.

Haraldr Bassi sca-cooks-l at drakkar.org
Tue Aug 30 16:33:52 PDT 2011

Greetings,

Something I do with mine that most other people I've talked to don't is steep the mint or the
ginger in the syrup overnight. Then the next morning, I sieve out the solids and bottle it. I
toss a cinnamon stick into the mint syrup if I have any on-hand. Ginger syrup goes as is. Serves
at about a 10:1 (reduce to 12:1 for very strong syrup) ratio of water to syrup. A 1/2 gallon
mason jar makes a 5 gal water barrel full.

Key, at least in my experience, is to heat the water/vinegar mixture, slowly adding sugar and
letting it absorb until all 5lbs are in suspension as a syrup. Adding the sugar too fast seems
to be more counter productive. It eventually works, just seems to act differently.

Once it's a syrup, add the flavoring (mint or shredded ginger root) and then remove from heat.
Leave covered overnight.

Seems to me that adding the water to the vinegar will dilute the acidity of the vinegar and
provide more liquid for sugar suspension. Since vinegar comes in different acidity levels, the
water:vinegar ratio might need to be adjusted for optimum. 2:1 water:vinegar seems to be a
decent starting ratio. The 3 qts liquid seems to also be a good quantity for a 5lb bag of sugar
(if that size is still available these days).

Haraldr Bassi