[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP Since it is Pennsic I have a totally off-topic rant

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 6 15:04:19 PDT 2011

With our son now a junior in college, I've been doing more traveling
with James to university conferences
around the country. I've gotten into the habit of checking restaurants
out in Zagats and online through Yelp
and Tripadvisor.
I also am a big fan of Jane and Michael Stern's Roadfood and their
reviews. Also see their  500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late.
Or sometimes just googling the name of the restaurant and seeing what
the reviews say works.
We still hit a few duds, but not as many. And we are not at the mercy
of the front desk or concierge
who points us to a restaurant that wasn't even open or to one that ran
$80 per person without wine for mediocre food.

I've always heard that if the description of the risotto doesn't
mention it takes 20 minutes then you shouldn't order it.
(The best I've had while dining out of late was a restaurant on the
Upper East Side in NYC. Risotto one night and polenta the next. That's
the other dish that gets messed up.)
http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/2440/how-do-cooks-prepare-risotto-in-a-restaurant
   discusses how it can be held in a restaurant.

I think the risotto scam is in part the fault of Gordon Ramsay and his
menu on Hell's Kitchen. What are those would be chefs making every
single week? They are in there stirring up risotto and being screamed
at. One doesn't even need to subscribe to cable to see Ramsay. He's on
Fox.

Johnnae