[Sca-cooks] Favorite Medieval dish . Blanc Manger

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:23:17 PDT 2011

Ana Valdes wrote:

I should bring blanc manger, *mahallab?yah, manjar blanco, what we in South
America and in Mexico is called dulce de leche or dulce de cajeta. It's an
interesting dish, originally made with almond's milk and the meat of a hen
or a capon, now it's only the milk and the sugar left.

I "die" in 1474 with Isabel I of Castile's older brother's death - Henry
IV. That is when I cut off medieval food in Spain. So Isi and Ferdi are
not included in my history but everyone has his own history.

So what would Ana prepare? - A dessert or the fowl recipe?

By the way due to popular demand I am adding medieval recipes to my blog
which is published weekdays - so now it gives you a bit of the history
of the medieval food item, a pertinent or impertinent photo or two and a
recipe which includes the food item - where applicable. Not being Julia
Child, I would welcome any and all recipes cause dishing out daily
really is not my business. I am a historian not a cook! As you can see
with my photo credits, I would give them to you for your recipes. Also
your photos are more then welcome as well. -

My blog is:
http://spanishfoodma.blogspot.com/
Suey