[Sca-cooks] Looking for a "gluten-free, plant-based (no animal protein or fat) and low/no fat" recipe ideas

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Dec 19 11:33:17 PST 2011

>We got a request from my sister-in-law for an early Christmas
>gathering and she asked for:
>"please make something that is gluten-free, plant-based (no animal
>protein or fat) and low/no fat to share"
>
>Huh??? I thought the idea was to share *food*. This request leaves
>out almost all tasty food that I can think of, except fruit and
>certainly everything that I would consider party/feast/festival
>foods.
.
Veggies are always my favorite part of any meal.

Carrots, turnips, and parsnips with ginger and caramelized onions.
Little onions caramelized and cooked with vinegar
Almost any veggies roasted in a little olive oil, then dressed in vinegar
Beets roasted whole in the oven, then peeled and sliced.
Pickled beets
Asparagus seared in a fry pan, roasted or grilled
Sweet potatoes baked whole
Corn parched on a dry skillet until it sears a little, then mixed
with carmelized onions and roasted red pepper- this is a good way to
use frozen corn.
potatoes roasted with garlic - best served soon, but still ok the next day.
Roasted Brussells sprouts are very good and I don't even like
Brussells Sprouts, but you have to eat them right away, they aren't
nearly as good if they are held.
Cauliflower w Romanesco sauce: tomato, chili, nuts, and garlic (the
sauce usually includes bread, but you could leave it out or use gf
bread)
A pie pumpkin filled with wild rice, cranberries, nut, etc served whole
Acorn squash cut in half and baked til nearly done, then turned over
and filled with cranberries, nuts and a sprinkle of sugar (or sugar
substitute if you have to) and roasted til the cranberries pop.
Mushrooms filled with onion, the mushroom stems, red bell pepper,
basil, and either pecans or almonds then baked  (I usually add a
little asiago but it works w/o, I make these often)
Leeks w mushrooms, walnuts, almond milk
Red pepper cut in pieces filled with a nut stuffing and baked.
"Good Shepherd" pie: veggies w mushroom gravy and a mashed potato crust
Roasted Ratatouille: garlic, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, red and
yellow peppers, onion all roasted in a little olive oil - this was
very good... and unlike most roasted veggies was even better the next
day.
hummus served w gf crackers
guacamole or salsa with tortilla chips
summer rolls wrapped in rice paper - filled with a lettuce or spinach
leaf, julienne carrots, red pepper and daikon
(btw, when I say red pepper means sweet bell peppers, not chilies)

>My wife is thinking of some kind of tofu turkey. Shudder.

I'm vegetarian and agree. Fake food is almost always very disappointing.

Ranvaig