[Sca-cooks] preserved lemons

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 08:12:18 PST 2011

The way I make them is to wash the lemons (meyer preferred but any will do)
and then cut them almost all the way through from stem to point into 4
quarters.  Rub them with salt (any salt although I tend to use kosher or
pickling) and put them in a jar (I use a mason jar) - jam as many as you
can into the jar - the juice extracted should cover the lemons or add
additional juice.  Close the jar and wait.  In a day or two open the jar
and you'll probably be able to add a few more lemons.  At this point if the
juice runs out - that's okay as long as there is enough to cover the
lemons).  Recap and leave it for a couple of weeks.

We've left it on the counter at this point.  Unless you live in a hot
climate.  We did not seal the jar as you would with canning because all the
salt acts as a preservative.  Once we open the jar to use we stick it in
the fridge.

We use it in tagine cooking mostly - our favorite is chicken with olives
and preserved lemons.  Wonderful over cous cous.  We always rinse (even
soaking them in water for a little while) the lemons before using them
because otherwise they are too salty.  I'm sure you can use it in any dish
that you want to enhance with lemony goodness.

Shoshanah