[Sca-cooks] preserved lemons

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sat Dec 31 16:54:00 PST 2011

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:12:18 -0700
From: Susan Lin <susanrlin at gmail.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] preserved lemons

We've left it on the counter at this point.  Unless you live in a hot
climate.  We did not seal the jar as you would with canning because all the
salt acts as a preservative.  Once we open the jar to use we stick it in
the fridge.

Even in hot climates (and it's 41 C here today :-() you can get away with
leaving it on the counter. But making sure the lemons are completely covered
in liquid is essential. If they're floating a bit you can scrunch up a bit
of non-stick baking paper and stuff it in the top of the jar.

Angharad