[Sca-cooks] Alcohol in Islamic countries

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Feb 1 11:39:26 PST 2011

>There was in period, as well as today, a lively debate about
>the permissibility of drinking alcohol based upon religions sources.
>And just like in Europe, people violated religious rules time and
>again.

The second is clearly true. My impression on the first is that the
disagreement among the schools of Sunni law was over just what range
of drinks was forbidden. At one extreme you had the equivalent of the
Delaney Amendment--you were forbidden to drink any quantity, however
small, of anything that in sufficiently large quantities was
intoxicating. At the other end you had the view that the drinking of
wine from grapes was forbidden, and that it was forbidden to get
thoroughly drunk on other things but not to drink them. "So drunk as
not to know the earth from the sky or a man from a woman."

I don't know what the range of opinions among the Shia was.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com