[Sca-cooks] OOP - Food for a 19th Century Parisian Courtesan

V O voztemp at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 14:00:41 PST 2011

Ok, here is a good one from a 1891 book.

Sea-Moss Blanc-Mange
Wash the moss well, and soak it for half an hour or more in a little cold
water.  To half an ounce or a handful of moss allow one quart of water, or
rather of rich milk, if the patient can take milk.  When the water or milk is
boiling, add the soaked sea-moss, and sugar to taste.  Let them simmer until the
moss is entirely dissolved.  Strain the juice into cups or little molds.  Many
boil a stick of cinnamon with the water or milk, and flavor also with wine; but
the simple flavor of the sea-moss is very pleasant.  It may be served with a
little cream and sugar poured over it.

(This is the blanc-mange from the pudding chapter.)

Put half a paper of gelatine, two ounces of sugar, half of the very thin rind of
a lemon, and eight bitter almonds, blanched and bruised, into a pint of milk,
and let it stand an hour.  Place it over a fire, and let it come merely to the
scalding-point,stirring well to dissolve the gelatine.

Strain it into a bowl, add a pint of cream, and a little wine or brandy to
taste.  Stir it occasionally, to prevent the cream from settling on the
surface.  Turn it, avoiding the settlings, into molds, to harden; or, in place
of almonds, a stick of cinnamon may be substituted; or infuse a few more
almonds, and omit the wine or brandy; or, the blanc-mange may be flavored with
maraschino, or any other liqueur.  I prefer blanc-mange made with corn starch,
as the same ingredients nesessary for a blanc-mange proper are better made into
Bavarian creams.

(there are 6 Bavarian creams listed in the next couple of pages.   So I guess
she really does prefer the cream.)

More from the sick chapter

Milk punch

Sweeten a glass of milk to taste, and one or two tablespoons of best brandy.
Grate a little nutmeg over the top.

(Yeah, a couple of these and I wouldn't feel any pain either.....)

Egg-and-milk punch

Stir well a heaping tea-spoonful of sugar and the yolk of an egg together in a
goblet, then add a table-spoonful of best brandy.  Fill the glass with milk
until it is three-quarters full, then stir well into the mixture the white of
the egg beaten to a stiff froth.  The receipt for "Eggnog" among the "Beverages"
is similar to this, and better, of course, as whipped cream is substituted for
milk.

There are a lot of "beef-teas" and thing like that, do you want those? This is
from only one that I have right now, I have typed them exactly as they are in
the book, with punctuation and words.

I will get the others when I am at home.

Mirianna