[Sca-cooks] Documenting balsamic? Slow progress

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 09:34:37 PST 2011

It's sounds like it is made from must / saba not wine. I've found some other
interesting websites, but I'm still dissatisfied with the sources as far as
being able to say confidently that I can prove it beyond stories- they mention
"13th-century paintings depicting the batteria in the attic" batteria being the
aging casks the vinegar matures in, but what painting? There is no artist or
title named. Interested in doing some long term experimentation with me, David?
It would require finding barrels out of at least 5 of the following woods, in
decreasing sizes - acacia, ash, cherry, chestnut, juniper, mulberry, oak and
walnut. We would need to take some must from Modena varietals like Lambrusco,
Trebbiano and Spergola, and start them aging in the barrels and decant them into
the next smallest size as they condense and evaporate for at least 3-5 years.
Quite a long haul project, but once we got it rolling we could have a constant
supply of delicious and fairly authentic balsamic. :)

This one is my favorite so far as it talks about the grades of balsamic and how
to tell an authentic one from imitation, as well as their version of it's
history and production methods, :
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/oils/about-balsamic-vinegar.asp

"The History of Balsamic Vinegar
Balsamic vinegar—or what is believed to be balsamic, as the written record is
sparse—has been made since at least the 11th century. What is considered to be
the first historical reference is in 1046: It is recorded that a well-known
vinegar, laudatum acetum, produced in Canossa, a town in the province of Reggio
Emilia, was given in a silver bottle as a present by the Marquis Bonifacio to
the soon-to-be Holy Roman Emperor Enrico III of Franconia, when he passed
through the area en route to Rome.

It is assumed, but can’t be verified, that the laudatum acetum was the same
product we recognize as balsamic. It also was indicated in records that begin in
the 1500s, via the writings of the poet Ludovico Ariosto (author of Orlando
Furioso and native of Reggio Emilia) at the Estensi court. “Black vinegar” was
mentioned as a mix of sour vinegar and saba (sweetened vinegar), with a typical
bitter-sweet flavor.
In the 16th century, when the Estensi court moved to Modena, the first evidences
of balsamic vinegar appear. Documents reveal it to have qualities that
distinguish it from common vinegar and describe how to produce it, specifying
that must from Trebbiano grapes must be left to mellow in an attic for several
years. By the 1700s, it was recognized rare and valuable enough to be used as a
special occasion vinegar and served to VIPs.

In its early days, balsamic vinegar was very available only to the nobility and
the artisans who made it—themselves aristocrats. It was believed to be a miracle
cure for everything from a sore throat to labor pains (the name balsamic, from
balm, is derived from its purported medicinal properties, including its use as a
protection against the plague)."

If I can prove the part about it being recommended to ease labor pains that
would be an amazing cross over into my research on child birth and food
recommendations during pregnancy in Renaissance Italy!

My first real lead is a mention on this website
http://www.godoc.it/history.htm of a medical treatise " of the government of the
plague and of the ways of bewaring of it " written by Ludovico Antonio Muratori
describing the medical uses of the vinegar- I'm off to hunt it down! I'll post
more if I find anything. Anyone with interest or mad library skills are
definately welcome to join in the hunt!
From my preliminary searches it looks like he may be a post- period historian so
while his writing may not prove to be very useful in terms of proving the use of
Balsamic vinegar during our time he might provide further sources to search
backwards.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V9C-4M1TSPN-1&_user=582538&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2006&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1628275245&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000029718&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=582538&md5=81a0657250f4d62bbbf8f64d5e111186&searchtype=a

In joyous service,
Raffaella