[Sca-cooks] *** off list *** RE: oxtail soup, Vol 57, Issue 36

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Feb 2 12:18:09 PST 2011

>So how goes with your translation?

I still work on it on and off.. sometimes I'll
work quite diligently, then I'll leave it for a
couple months or a year.  I'm on a diligent phase
right now, and translating both the Vorrede (this
is incredibly prosy and difficult) and the
Zugemüß sections, and nearly done transcribing
Fisch.

Still have most of Poultry to go, and need to
re-do Meat.. I used someone else's transcription,
and I'm finding it more faulty than I realized. I
never finished translating it, and my early
translations were quite faulty too.  And there
are a couple of interesting chapters after the
Vorrede, before the menus, that seem to be about
where to get things and how to choose them.  And
a section on wine, beer, and water at the end.

Perhaps I should have started in the beginning
and gone to the end, but I've done the parts that
were most interesting, or as someone asked about
it.

Every now and then I post a new version, and I
have plans to resurrect the Rumpolt site.  Only
having it on Yahoo groups really limits
visibility.  I meant to do it right after
Geocities died, but there are other demands on my
time and money.

I have some ideas for tools to make translation
and use easier, and have been saying "this month
for sure" for ages.

Not sure if you know much about my health.. I
went on disability last spring, but still am in a
lot of pain.  Not working means no health care,
no health care means no pain meds.  I'll get
Medicare in a year, so hopefully things will
improve then.  I have more time now, but not
always very productive.  I've pretty much dropped
out of any real time SCA stuff.

Ranvaig