[Sca-cooks] Organ meats

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Wed Feb 2 13:11:46 PST 2011

I ate tongue in Montevideo as well, Fabulous, cooked, cold and sooked in
,milk, oil, vinegar and garlic.
Ana

Tongue was very common in the UK when I was a child. We used to eat it cold
and sliced like ham. In fact you bought it from the deli counter the same
way. I have the impression it was supposed to be ox tongue, but it occurs to
me that oxen were probably not so common in the 70's so it was probably
beef.

Angharad

*******
We had tongue when I was a child as well.
Mom did both the cold sliced and the marinated/pickled.
We used to do it for feasts occasionally.
Cooked and sliced most people thought it was great if they didn't know what
it was.
It was totally off putting the time our guild master brought one to a
meeting.
Cooked, but unpeeled, with the little tastebuds staring at you, studded with
cloves.
I never figured out if he was trying to freak people out or what.
It really looked like a big ol' cow tongue...

I always thought it was odd that they called the cow tails "ox tails", ours
were never from actual oxen.
Back when they were affordable (70s & 80s) we used to use them for soup,
usually at casual feasts/meals.
One time did a really specialized, expensive feast with a lot of complicated
dishes for a few people.
For the kitchen and serving staff we made a batch of oxtail soup and one
gent was very vocal that we staff were being 'dissed" because Ox tails,
coming from the hind end of the cow, were peasant food, and took it as an
intentional slight. We cooks were more than a little baffled.
I laughed when I saw some in the store last week and they were $4.99 a
pound...

We have friends that raised organic cows.
This year we bought a half.
I told them if anyone else didn't want their hearts, livers, tongues, etc
that I would take them.
When they butchered the cows they didn't take the organ meats to the
butcher's to wrap.
They just bagged them up and put them in our friends freezer.
So now I have these giant bags of frozen, unlabeled, cow parts.
The best identification I got was "I think the kinda flat bag is livers".
It is both funny and tragic, I can't possibly eat 10 pounds of liver in one
shot, or 3 beef hearts...

Randell
An Tir