[Sca-cooks] Neigh not udder things to consider

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:15:30 PST 2011

I have read on Marvin Harris great book "Good to Eat" and he says the taboo
to eat horse food is a cultural taboo and in the US the Navy provided cheap
cuts of horse meat several years in their subventionated restaurangs but the
beef lobby denounced it and they stopped it.
Ana

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Cat . <tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I seem to recall Rumpolt has one horse recipe.
>
> http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_horse1.htm<http://clem.mscd.edu/%7Egrasse/GK_horse1.htm>
>
> And I have seen a few modern recipes for horse or foal, but it is a
> specialty
> butcher item, not a standard grocery item (IIRC) and some of the animal
> groups
> do get pretty opinionated about it.
> Nope, I have not tasted it.  Grew up reading Flicka, black beauty, Misty...
> nuff
> said :-)
>
> PURR
> Gwen Cat
>

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:54:03 -0800 (PST)
> > From: Dan Schneider <schneiderdan at ymail.com>
> > To: yaini0625 at yahoo.com, Cooks within the SCA
> >     <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] udder things to consider
> >
> > Hej Aelina,
> >
> > Horse isn't necessarily a starvation food. I'm sure it was in some
> places- the
> >English and Irish are notoriously freaked out at the idea of eating horse-
> but
> >you can still buy it today in the supermarkets here in Sweden, and I'm
> pretty
> >sure I remember seeing it for sale in France as well.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > --- On Thu, 2/3/11, yaini0625 at yahoo.com <yaini0625 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Is this one of those historical
> > > dishes like horse that was eaten during harsh times? I can't
> > > imagine someone just decided one day, " I am going to serve
> > > cow udder to the King today."
> > > Aelina
> > >
> > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci