[Sca-cooks] question about recipes

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Thu Feb 3 13:55:12 PST 2011

> Would the 1st recipe be funnel cake?  And would the second one possibly be
> recipe that could be translated to be springerle?  I know it says
> lebkuchen, but
> with all of the stuff about dipping the mold into rosewater, letting them
> sit
> overnight.  To me it sound like springerle, describing molding the
> caakes/cookies and letting them dry over night.  The process of cooking is
> very
> interesting, I may just have to try this with some of my molds next time.
>
> from
> Das Kuchbuch der Sabrina Welserin (1553)
>
> Thanks,
> Mirianna

I went through a whole funnel cake craze last spring.  I think these are a
type of funnel cake that is very light in color and dropped into the pan
in the shape of a star.  Other recipes for 'strauben' itself give
directions for the dripping that sound more like the country fair funnel
cake.

I should put together a collection of the lebkuchen recipes I've come
across, but perhaps there is a collection of them in the florilegium
already.  One of the most interesting setups for lebkuchen is the twice
baked variety.  The first baking was like a type of panforte, meant to
keep and be used as an ingredient in recipes.  When ground it can make a
fine spicy flour for thickening, and also is called for in other lebkuchen
recipes so that they are twice baked.  I love to make little thin rounds
of lebkuchen, fill them with almond paste and dried fruit oreo style, dip
them in an almond/egg batter, deep fry them and finally sugar them.  I
call them crack.

Katherine