[Sca-cooks] sorry ytpo

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Fri Feb 4 22:03:42 PST 2011

It's basically unrendered pork fat, usually salted and dried or smoked. Today, Speck comes in two standard varieties, Bauchspeck (pieces of pork belly, a bit like streaky bacon) and Rückenspeck (pieces of back fat, pretty much solid fat). in the past it is likely other bits of the animal were also used to produce Speck. I think that Yiddish also used speck to describe animal fats that weren't treif, but I don't know if that's still done. If so, it could be a problem like you get with Schmalz. Modern blood sausage made in North Germany uses Rückenspeck, the back fat, cut into small cubes.

YIS

Giano