[Sca-cooks] Mattioli's Mushrooms

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Tue Feb 8 09:06:55 PST 2011

In a totally unrelated search, I unearthed a copy of Mattioli's 1611
edition of his work translated from Italian [Kräuterbuch Von Pietro Andrea
Mattioli, Joachim Camerarius (1534-1598)].  I know there are earlier
German editions, but I haven't been able to find them on-line yet - any
help would be appreciated.  I don't know what it is about herbals, but
every time I open one up, I am filled with excitement.  Maybe it is
because they have illustrations :)

The link:
http://books.google.de/books?id=zMxDAAAAcAAJ&dq=inauthor%3A%22Pietro%20Andrea%20Mattioli%22&pg=RA7-PA151-IA2#v=onepage&q&f=false

Now, the question.  Mattioli says there are 10 kinds of mushrooms suitable
for the kitchen.  I've been trying to identify them, and I thought that
there may have been a similar entry in the earlier Italian edition that
might help with identification.  I've also used as a resource this
Germanic mycology document to try to identify the mushrooms, but there
seems to be some overlap in the names.
(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/fedr.200510078/pdf )  I can
only think that it means that perhaps the words signify specific variants
in the same family, loss in translation to German from Italian, or maybe
the meanings changed throughout time. Can anyone hook me up with an
on-line Italian version, or better yet, tell me about any mushroom
information?  And further, any enlightenment on the German mushroom names
is also most welcome.  And, of course, it may be that it's something that
can't quite be determined from this resource alone.

Here's what I have so far:

1.Morchen – Morels - Morchella
2.Erdmorchen -Truffles (black, white and reddish) - Tuber sp.
3.Herrenpilz – Porcini Tuber sp.(also Steinpilz)
4.Reisken – Saffron Milk Cap – Lactarius Deliciosus
5.Pfifferlinge/Pfefferlinge Chanterelle Cantharellus cibarius or Peppery
Milk Cap Lactarius piperatus
6.Heyderling, Treuschling – Field Mushroom - Agaricus campestris
7.Rehling or Hendelschwamm - Chanterelle Cantharellus cibarius
8.Brötlinge – Apricot Milk Cap Lactarius volemus
9.Eichswamme and Hasenörlinge- Hen of the woods/Maitake - Grifola frondosa
- and perhaps ?Pig’s Ear/Violet Chanterelle Gyroporus castaneus
10. Rotling or Rothschwamme Saffron Milk Cap   Lactarius deliciosus -
Augstschwamm Field Mushroom Agaricus campestris

Thanks for reading,

Katherine