[Sca-cooks] Mattioli's Mushrooms

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Tue Feb 8 19:12:54 PST 2011

But wait, I found more info!

Johnnae (does anyone else hear in their heads of the sounds the Ewoks make
when they meet 3CPO when one thinks of her?) posted those additional
herbal links in response to the Gerard Herbal today.  Lo and behold there
were more German herbals. (insert squee here) Eucharius Roeslin's 1550
Kreuterbuch has a section on mushrooms.  He quotes Bock's book (next place
I'm looking) and tells me the following about edible mushrooms:

1.  Tubera - Morcheln (Truffles) - grow by old fruit trees and in sandy
soils in the woods.  They are gray, round and full of holes like a
honeycomb.  They should be allowed to swell with water, and then cooked
with herbs/spices and butter. They are only found from April to May.

2.  Heyderling "Aminatae vel Boleti" grow in grassy acreage and dried
wheat and start to appear in July through August.  They are brown on the
bottom and faded on the top.  They need to be peeled and prepared as the
truffles above or roasted over the coals.

3.  "Boleti Orbiculati" (no common name given) grow in high open woods.
They are completely white, round, and sometimes grow larger than a plate.
When they are broken they give a hot-flavored milk, hotter to the tongue
that 'pfefferwurz' (which I assume to be a peppery herb).

4.  Reheling, grows in the woods and are gold in color.  They are soaked,
chopped and cooked with butter, ginger and vinegar.  There is another type
that grows in swampy woods by rotted wood and are called in Latin
Digirelli (or Digitelli - the print is smeared).  Sometimes they are
yellow, sometimes faded, and sometimes gray.  They have a lot of sap and
are unhealthy and indigestible.

5.  Brötlinge- grow in the high woods, and are completely brown.  They are
not bigger than the Heyderling and give a sweet whte milk.  Sometimes they
are eaten raw.

6.  Hasenöhrlen or "Lepusculi" grow on the grounds in the woodlands and
appear in August by the plants by oak trees.  They are very large
mushrooms, all gray and faded in color, that look like cooked calf's caul.
 Their shape helps to identify them.  They are cooked like the other
mushrooms.

7.  Rodtling/Augstschwemm - grow in Beech woods, and they look like a
Heyderling or Durschling but somewhat more faded.

I feel the itch for a spreadsheet coming on.  Tomorrow I will check Bock's
book for any additional information.

Katherine